Sunday 19 May 2013

RSPB Loch Leven 10.5.13

After an overnight stop in Dunfermline I actually made a late start and got to the reserve about 11am
I had found the reserve last year, while en route to Scottish Birdfair and had really loved it!
As an RSPB 'vol' it's always a great pleasure to catch up with people on other reserves around
the country, to see what they're up to and what birds they have around.
As soon as I opened the car door the air echoed to the beautiful songs of Willow Warblers, probably
recently in from their African wintering grounds.They were accompanied by the resident Robins which I never tire of listening to.
I carried on towards the centre, past feeders with Blue and Coal Tits. It seemed odd that for some
reason the Coal Tits hung around longer on the feeders than others of their kind had the day before at
Leighton Moss.
I had a wander round the lovely shop, resisting the urge to buy yet more books!
after all, it was the day before the Scottish Birdfair where I actually bought 4 books and a dvd!
I went up the zig-zag ramps to the cafe and had a lovely lunch.
Although the main reserve isn't accessible to wheelchair users, they have large windows that
look across to the loch, with brilliant 'scopes that can zoom in on birds a good distance away.
Swallows were everywhere, Blue Tits went back and forth to their next boxes and a lovely
Tree Sparrow gave us a great close view.
It was great to chat to more staff and a local birder who helped me find some good birds too.
Shoveler, Tufted Duck, Greylag Geese and Mute Swans were close in with late Whooper Swans
grazing on a field. To the right of the centre is St Serf's Island which held a few Barnacle Geese,
probably my favourite geese.
Quite a few lapwing were calling as they displayed which is always a great sight.
Back outside I stayed near the feeders and had 2 Lesser Redpoll, a Siskin and a Coal Tit
all at the same time.
I drove the car to the far side of the car park and enjoyed Ostercatcher and Mallard.
Finally I trained my 'scope on more feeders and had House Sparrow, Goldfinch,
Greenfinch and Chaffinch all in view at the same,while Wrens sang enthusiastically.
It was a great way to start a lovely weekend in Scotland at a fantastic reserve!
If you're anywhere near, give it a go. I hope to go back again very soon.

2 comments:

  1. Another good reserve Phil.
    I'm terrible in the reserve shops; always find something to buy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous sounding day, nice to see uncontrollable shopping is not just a girl thing!

    ReplyDelete